Saturday 12 March 2011

Daily Blog, 11th March 2011

I've been doing lots of research on ways in which certain emotions can be evoked with particular shapes and colours. I was interested in the way that dangerous and poisonous plants and animals have certain characteristics that are similar. I looked in particular at Puffer Fish, Sea Urchins, The Venus Fly Trap and Thorny Devil Lizards. I found similarities in the shapes that were used and the environments that they were in, for example the sea urchins are heavily spiked and are a dark purple colour that means that they are camoflaged as they are in such dark areas of the sea where no light can penetrate these depths. Also, the Thorny devil lizard blends in well with its sandy, desert environment. The puffer fish blows up like a balloon... with spikes attached I might add, competely unsuspect.. at first. It might be interesting to make a 3D object with these attributes, could it blend into its environment so it cannot be noticed as it is a dangerous object and cold pounce any second?

I realised that when I make this object that I cannot only be concerned with how the object will be percieved. If I am going to make an object that creates emotion I will need to consider the environment that the object is in. For example, Bansky's work make a political statement about the society we live in and human reactions, like the girl swinging from the "PARK" sign, with "CAR" covered over slightly, it reminds us playfully and subtly what society prioritses and has given up for money. His art work is pointant and straighforward, taken from a different perspective which makes poeple look up and see the BIGGER picture.
However, if we look at his artwork in a different context such as in a "PARK", then it would no longer be ironic, it does not force us to see the issue he is trying to raise.

I want to look at emotions and how objects can make us feel, I'm not too sure what emotion yet, I'm thinking more the darker side of things..so when I know the emotion that I want to use, I have to put this into a context which people can relate to.

From my research I have also found that using a light source with the object would be a great way of creating mood/atmosphere/emotion so it could be a light of some sort which uses this to its advantage. I  have started looking into different art periods such as Romanticism, where Turner and constabe for example "employed colour as a psychico-expressive medium to lend mood to landscape" (Itten, Johannes, The Art of Colour, 1973) and Neo-Impressionism where Seurat and his followers used dots of unmixed colour  in order to instill a sense of organisation and permanence.  Ogden Rood's book 'Modern chromatics, with application to Art and Industry' acknowledged the different behaviours exhibited by coloured lights and pigments.

I am now looking at Cubism, as these artists reduce objects down to simple shapes; squares, trianges and circles....

No comments:

Post a Comment